WHAT TO DO BEFORE A BIG STORM
Some steps to remember:
Before a storm, walk around your property and perform your own inspection.
- Have you secured items that could get blown away or cause damage? Patio furniture, umbrellas, garbage containers?
- Do drainage or runoff pipes need to be cleared to prevent flooding on your property?
- Can you help your town out and make sure that any fire hydrants near your home are clear and free from brush?
Sign up for text alerts from your utilities.
We learned from the previous outages that the more people in our area that report the outages the greater priority we will be for being brought back online. If you call your outage in through the automated system you will not be given a ticket number for tracking. If you register through your utility’s website with your email address and cell number, you can get the ticket number and will be better positioned to track when your power will be restored.
Have you prepared and shopped for emergency supplies?
If we do loose power have you updated or replaced batteries in your CO2 detector?
- During the last outage our Fire Department had an overwhelming number of calls for high CO2 levels for homes with generators.
- Make sure you know how to use and maintain your generator.
- Click here to check out these safety tips
Do you know what to do in the event a wire comes down near your home?
Here is some important information from JCP&L:
- JCP&L reminds customers to immediately report any downed wires to the company, or their local police department.
- Customers should never go near a downed power line, even if they think it is no longer carrying electricity.
- Extra caution should be used in areas where downed lines are tangled in trees or other debris.
- To report downed wires or power outages, call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), or click the “Report Outage” link at www.firstenergycorp.com.
Remember, your municipal government does not provide your utilities.
- We are each responsible for learning what we need to do and to prepare the best we can.
- Your Mendham Borough OEM Team will do all we can to work with JCP&L and all the utilities and provide you the most up to date information we can.
BE SAFE AND PREPARE!
Utilities Serving Mendham Borough
Electric & Gas
JCP&L: Report a Power Outage: 888-544-4877 (888-LIGHTSS)
Customer Service: 800-662-3115
PSE&G: To report an outage by phone call 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) or text "OUT" to 4PSEG (47734) - Register your phone first by texting "REG" to 4PSEG
NJ American Water: 1-800-272-1325
Business Hours: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. M-F
Self Service & to Report an Emergency, we are available 24/7