• Every law enforcement agency within the State of New Jersey must accept reports of officer misconduct from any person at any time.
  • Every law enforcement agency within the State of New Jersey must have a policy consistent with the Attorney General’s Internal Affairs Policy and Procedures.
    • The policy provides that all citizen complaints involving police misconduct are readily accepted and fully and promptly investigated.
  • Any member of the public who thinks that they have  witnessed or been the victim of police misconduct has the right to file an internal-affairs complaint against the officer(s)-in-question.
  • The Police Department has a duty to fairly, objectively and thoroughly investigate all internal-affairs complaints.
  • All persons filing internal-affairs complaints have the right to courteous, professional and fair treatment by the police.
  • A member of the public has the right to file a complaint regardless of the hour or day of the week.
    • If the complainant cannot come to police headquarters, the police must meet the complainant at his/her home, work or other mutually convenient location.
    • In the event the complainant is unable for some reason to meet in person with the police, the internal affairs complaint can be made via telephone, U.S. Mail or through e-mail.
    • Reasonable steps must be taken to accommodate a complainant who does not speak English.
  • A member of the public has the right to make their complaint anonymously.
  • The complainant does not have to be an American citizen to do so and cannot be required to produce identification or be accompanied by a citizen before a complaint will be accepted.
    • The police cannot report a person to federal immigration officials in retaliation for the filing of an internal-affairs complaint.
  • A juvenile has the right to file an internal-affairs complaint, with or without the presence of a parent or guardian.
  • A complainant has the right to be kept informed of the status of their complaint as well as the outcome of their complaint at the conclusion of the police investigation.
  • If you want to file an internal-affairs complaint, please call the municipal department that employs the officer(s)-in-question or call the MCPO(973) 285-6200 and ask to speak to a member of the Office’s Professional Standards Unit.
  • Internal Affairs Complaint Forms can be submitted to the Mendham Borough Police Department IA Unit via Email at :