The Mendham Borough Registrar of Vital Statistics processes and maintains all records of births, deaths, marriages, domestic partnerships and civil unions that occur in Mendham Borough.
Robin R. Kline, MAS, RMC, CMR Jeanne Pugsley, CMR
Registrar, Vital Statistics Deputy Registrar, Vital Statistics
Due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency and CDC guidelines, our customers will not be able to access our offices in person or pick up documents on site; however, we will continue to provide services on a limited basis by telephone, Email, and US Mail. Our goal is to provide as safe an environment as possible for everyone while still providing essential services to residents, businesses and visitors of Mendham Borough. Please follow the Governor's executive orders during this state of emergency and all CDC guidelines to help keep you, your family and neighbors safe and well.
APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE OR CIVIL UNION LICENSE
Apply for a marriage or civil union license in Mendham Borough if…
- either party resides in Mendham Borough OR
- neither party is a resident of New Jersey but the marriage ceremony will be performed in Mendham Borough [the license will only be valid in Mendham Borough]
APPLICATIONS ARE TAKEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BUT NO LATER THAN 14 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF YOUR CEREMONY.
Complete the first page of the Marriage/Civil Union License Application in advance of your visit. Please do not sign the application as it must be signed under oath in the presence of the issuing authority.
What to bring to your appointment
Both parties must appear in person at the Registrar’s office to apply for the license. Documents that are provided in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Proof of identity—a driver’s license, current passport, state/county identification card or military identification.
- Proof of residency—a driver’s license, lease, tax return, etc.
- Social security number—required by law for U.S. citizens and will be kept confidential.
- Additional documents—the following are helpful but not required: a copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information and, if either party has been in a marriage, domestic partnership or civil union before, a copy of a death certificate, divorce decree, dissolution of civil union or termination of domestic partnership.
- One Witness—this individual must be at least eighteen years of age, must know both parties, must appear with the applicants and must swear to the completeness and accuracy of their answers.
- $28 application fee—payable by cash or check made payable to the Borough of Mendham.
The state of New Jersey requires a 72-hour waiting period after an application for marriage is made before a license can be issued. The license is valid for 30 days.
OBTAINING A CERTIFIED COPY OF A VITAL RECORD
Complete the Application Requesting a Copy of a Vital Record. The following information must be provided:
- full name on the record
- city where the event occurred
- exact date of the event (month, day and year)
- mother’s maiden name
- father’s name (if on record)
- for marriage, civil union or domestic partnership, instead of parents’ names, you must provide the name of the spouse/partner
Provide proof of your relationship to the person listed on the record
The proof must establish that you are the subject of the record, the subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative, spouse/civil union partner, child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age.
Provide acceptable identification
The following are acceptable forms of identification:
- a current, valid photo driver’s license or photo non-driver’s license with current address OR
- a current, valid driver’s license without photo and one alternate form of ID with current address OR
- two alternate forms of ID, one of which must have current address:
- vehicle registration or insurance card
- voter registration
- U.S. or foreign passport
- immigrant visa or green card
- federal, state, county or school ID
- bank statement or utility bill (within previous 90 days)
- tax return or W-2 for current/previous tax year
Submit the requisite fee with the completed application
Certified copies are $10.00 each, check or money order, made payable to the Borough of Mendham.
For more information visit the NJ Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration
Acceptable forms of identification
Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address.
Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address