CARBON MONOXIDE & SMOKE DETECTORS
NJ REGULATIONS & INFORMATION
- Per the N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.19, effective April 7, 2003, Carbon Monoxide (CO2) Detectors are required for all residential occupancies.
- CO2 Detectors shall be installed in all dwelling units within 10 feet of any sleeping area.
- The New Jersey State law requires that any existing dwelling, that contains a fuel burning appliance, fireplace, woodstove, or having an attached garage, that undergoes a repair, renovation, alteration, addition or installation of equipment that requires a permit, be equipped with a CO2 Detector.
- No additional permit is required for CO2 Detector installation, unless the detector is permanently connected to the dwelling unit's electrical wiring.
- C02 Detectors are available at most hardware stores, home centers, department stores and discount stores.
- CO2 Detectors cost approximately $20.00-$100.00. Combination Smoke & CO2 Detectors are also available and cost approximately $50.00-$80.00.
- Detectors may be battery operated, plug-in, or hard-wired with battery back-up.
- Detectors must be installed (if not already) before scheduling any final inspections.
- Bedrooms being altered, renovated or newly created have additional smoke detector requirements.