Whole-House Emergency Generator Installation Requirements and Guidelines
Submit a completed Construction Permit Application – incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Zoning Permit Application — Submit this application with a copy of a survey indicating the proposed placement of the generator along with the fee of $30 (check or Money Order).
- Construction Permit Application Folder — If the lead contractor for the work is not a licensed plumber, licensed electrician or the homeowner, the lead contractor acting as the agent for the homeowner must be registered with the Stat of New Jersey as a Home Improvement Contractor.
- Submit Manufacturer's Specifications for the Generator and Transfer Switch
- Submit 2 copies of Gas Riser Drawing with pipe sizes, Electrical Load Calculation of generator and one-line Electrical Service Drawing
UCC FORMS PRINTED FROM THE INTERNET OR COPIES OF UCC FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED SIGNED AND SEALED AS REQUIRED. UCC FORMS MUST BE LEGIBLE AND NOT HAVE THE OFFICE ONLY SECTIONS BLACKED OUT
- Construction Permit Application Folder
- Electrical Subcode Technical Section - with Load Calculation worksheet
- Mechanical Subcode Technical Section (residential only)
- Plumbing Subcode Technical Section (commercial only)
- Fire Protection Subcode Technical Section (commercial or residential if Propane (LPG) gas or diesel fuel.
- Building Subcode Technical Section — This is submitted only when the generator will be placed on a poured slab. The contractor must be registered with the State of New Jersey as a Home Improvement Contractor.
The following are required for permit applications whether the installation involves new install or extension of existing that includes CSST piping: A copy of the installer’s certification from the manufacturer for the installation of CSST and an Electrical permit is required for the bonding of the CSST.
Submit the entire packet to the Building Department for processing. If you want to receive Zoning approval prior to submission of the Construction Permit Application, you may submit the Zoning Permit Application, survey and fee to the Zoning Officer.
Building Department plan review will commence when documentation of Zoning Approval is received.