Farmland Assessment Information
- Farmland Assessment Information
FARMLAND TAX ASSESSMENT PROGRAM
- Under the New Jersey Farmland Asessment Act of 1964, any property is eligible for a preferential farmland tax assessment if 5 or more acres is devoted to production of crops, forestry, livestock and the like.
- The land must have been in active horticultural or agricultural use for two years prior to being considered for farmland assessment rates.
- Eligible properties must also achieve production of farm/forest crops averaging at least $1000 gross sales per year for that first five acres.
- Plus an average of $5 per acre for each acre over 5.
- Except in the case of woodland or wetland where the income requirement is $500 per year for the first 5 acres plus $.50 per acre for any acreage over 5.
- Or there is clear evidence of anticipated yearly gross sales, payments, or fees within a reasonable period of time dependent on the agricultural or horticultural products being produced.
- In the case of wooded or substantially-wooded farms, a specific Woodland Management Plan or Forest Stewardship Plan must be submitted to the Tax Assessor and the NJDEP Forest Service at the commencement of the forest management.
- Annually, an Application for Farmland Tax Assessment must be filed by August 1st of the previous tax calendar year.
- Farmland Assessment Act
- Soil Information Chart
- Farmland Assessment Home Page