Go To Section
- Jump to: Animal Control~Pet Licensing
- Jump to: Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA
- Jump to: Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA - Banners, Event Licensing & Public Service Projects
- Jump to: Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA - OPRA Open Public Records Act
- Jump to: Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA - Vital Statistics
- Jump to: Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA - Voting
- Jump to: Code Enforcement~Rental Inspections
- Jump to: Construction Permits~Inspections
- Jump to: Emergency Management
- Jump to: Engineer~Lot Development~Driveway~Sewer Connection Permits
- Jump to: Fees & Rates Schedule
- Jump to: Fire Prevention Bureau
- Jump to: Health Department Services
- Jump to: Planning~Land Use~Master Plan
- Jump to: Police
- Jump to: Public Works~Service Request
- Jump to: Recreation Programs~Events
- Jump to: Selling Your House~Inspections
- Jump to: Tax Assessor~Tax Map
- Jump to: Tax Collector
- Jump to: Zoning~Compliance Review & Permits
Animal Control~Pet Licensing
Return application form to the Borough Clerk's Office, Phoenix House, First Floor, 2 W. Main St.
- Cat License Copy of current rabies certificate is needed to obtain a cat license.
- Dog License Copy of current rabies certificate needed to obtain a dog license.
- Domestic Animal & Fowl License For Animals Other Than Cats and Dogs
- Register and Renew OnLine Register and Renew Pet Licenses OnLine.
- Cat License
Borough Clerk's Office~Vital Records~OPRA
- Banner Display Request (Main Street) All requests to display a banner across Main Street (Route 24) will require approval from both the Mayor & Council and the Morris County Board of Commissioners (formerly known as the Morris County Board of Freeholders). A certificate of insurance naming the Borough of Mendham as an additional insured is also required. Please review the application for further information and allow adequate time for processing and approval.
- Blue Light Permit Volunteers of the Mendham Borough Fire Department and First Aid Squad who are active members in good standing may apply for a blue emergency warning light for their personal vehicle. Approval is required from the Fire Chief or First Aid Squad Captain. Completed applications should be submitted to the Borough Clerk's office for further approval by the Mayor and MVC processing.
- Public Service Project Proposal Individuals or local organizations wishing to complete a public service project in Mendham Borough must complete this application and include an attached map/sketch showing the location and scope of the project. Eagle Scout or Girl Scout Service Award Projects require a copy of the completed Scouting Service Award Project Workbook which must also be attached to the application. All proposed public service projects require approval from Mayor & Council approval. Check Borough Council Meeting dates for planning purposes.
- Raffle License Step by step guide on how to apply for a Raffle, Bingo, Etc.
- Road Closure Application All requests to close a portion of a residential street for an event such as a block party requires approval by the Mayor & Council. Applications should be submitted to the Borough Clerk a minimum of 30 days before the date of the event.
- Special Event/Activity Permit Application A Special Event is any event which is conducted, sponsored or permitted by any organized group of persons and which involves any advance publicity or advertising by or from said group.
- Banner Display Request (Main Street)
- Open Permit Search "SAVE TIME GO ON LINE!" For faster up-to-date information on open & closed permits on a property click above on SDL Open Permit Search Link. After logging in search by address or block/lot. (If you do not have an SDL account click on create account and follow the instructions.)
- OPRA (Open Public Records Act) Request Individuals wishing to obtain government records should submit an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) Request Form. The completed OPRA form should be attached as a PDF to your email. Email the completed form to the Borough Clerk (or Police Records Custodian for police records) at the email address stated on the OPRA Request form. Please be specific identifying the record(s) you wish to obtain to help expedite processing.
- Open Permit Search "SAVE TIME GO ON LINE!"
- Marriage or Civil Union License Apply for a marriage or civil union license in Mendham Borough only if either applicant resides in Mendham Borough OR in instances where neither party is a resident of New Jersey but the marriage or civil union ceremony will be held in Mendham Borough. Applications are taken by appointment only.
- Request for Certified Copy of Birth, Marriage, or Death Record Requests for a certified copy of a vital record must be accompanied by valid forms of ID. There is a $10 fee for each certified copy.
- Vital Statistics Information How to obtain a copy of a Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate or apply for a Marriage/Civil Union License.
- Marriage or Civil Union License
- Voter Registration and Election Information Visit the Voter Information webpage for more information on voter registration, polling locations, how to apply for a Vote by Mail ballot and all things election-related.
- Voter Registration Application Registered voters who have moved to Mendham Borough from another town within Morris County or are new to the State of New Jersey must file a new Voter Registration Application at least 30 days before the next election date to qualify to vote in that election. This application form can also be used to update a voter's change of name, change of address or party affiliation.
- Voter Registration and Election Information
Code Enforcement~Rental Inspections
- Landlord/Tenant Rental Registration & Rental Inspection The mandatory Landlord/Tenant Registration & Inspection Form must be renewed annually or in the event of a change of Tenant.
- Rental Inspection Check List
- Vacant Property Registration Statement This Application/Statement is mandated to be completed for any vacant property located within the Borough.
- Landlord/Tenant Rental Registration & Rental Inspection
- PERMIT STATUS & INSPECTION SCHEDULING ALL INSPECTIONS MUST BE SCHEDULED THROUGH THE SDL PORTAL. To schedule or check status of permitting & inspections click on the SDL link above. If you do not have an SDL account click on Create Account and follow the instructions. Login to your account and go to Check a Building Permit Status link and enter the Permit # to review status of permitting & inspections for the property. To schedule an inspection go to On Line Request and scroll down and click on Building Inspections link. To confirm there are No Open Permits go to Find a Property Link and enter the address, block or lot to review status of all permits for the property.
- Construction Permit Application Packet & Related Forms The Mendham Borough Construction Department utilizes the State Department of Community Affairs Construction Permit Application Packet & Related Forms. Please fill out all required application forms from the State site. Please print your completed application forms and deposit the hard copy of your application forms in the Drop Box at the front of the Bowers Building, 6 W Main St. 07945. Completed applications forms may also be sent via US Mail or other delivery service. UCC FORMS MUST BE LEGIBLE AND NOT HAVE OFFICE ONLY SECTIONS BLACKED OUT. The Borough cannot accept application forms electronically due to the State mandating a raised Contractor Seal on most forms. The NJ UCC allows 20 working days for the review and issuing of a construction permit. THE 20 DAYS STARTS WHEN A COMPLETE APPLICATION IS RECEIVED & ALL PRIOR APPROVALS REQUIRED FROM ZONING, ENGINEERING, ENVIROMENTAL, UTILITIES & LAND USE OR PLANNING HAVE BEEN SATISFIED. All Prior Approvals must be obtained before a construction permit can be issued. Prior Approvals & Review include: Zoning; Historic Preservation Commission; Engineering; Joint Land Use Board (Planning & Board of Adjustment); NJDEP; Utility Companies; Morris County Soil Conservation; Mendham Commons Home Owner Association. The size and scope of the construction project will determine the length of time for the review process--i.e.. a single sub-code permit will take less time than a multiple sub-code permit. Due to required prior approvals, additions & alterations can take several weeks. A new home can take several months due to Board & Commission Meeting Schedules. The completeness of the information submitted with your permit can greatly assist with all review and approval process. For detailed information please click on Departments at top of Home Page and go to Construction Department. FOR QUICKEST RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS OR INQUIRIES ABOUT PERMIT APPLICAITONS PLEASE EMAIL CONSTRUCTION@MENDHAMNJ.ORG AT THE LINK BELOW. INCLUDE THE ADDRESS OF THE PROPERTY IN SUBJECT LINE OF EMAIL.
- Demolition Permit Requirements & Checklist
- PERMIT STATUS & INSPECTION SCHEDULING
- CERT Registration Mendham Borough Office Of Emergency Management Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)Registration Form
- CERT Registration
Engineer~Lot Development~Driveway~Sewer Connection Permits
Please submit completed application and payment to Borough Engineering Administrative Assistant, Lisa Smith at the Phoenix House. Please submit completed application as a PDF and include in the subject line the type of permit requesting and location to the email below.
- Lot Development Permit Activities requiring a lot grading plan. Prior to the issuance of any construction permit, zoning permit or driveway permit involving 500 square feet or more of lot coverage or 5,000 square feet or more of soil disturbance and any land disturbance involving 500 square feet or more of lot coverage or 5,000 square feet or more of soil disturbance where a construction permit, zoning permit or driveway permit is not required, except for normal agricultural operations in connection with a farming operation, an application for a lot grading permit shall be submitted to the Borough Engineer.
- Road Opening and Driveway Permit
- Sanitary Sewer Connection
- Lot Development Permit
- New Jersey One Call 811 New Jersey Law requires anyone digging to call at least three full business days (excluding weekends and holidays) prior to beginning work. This includes excavators as well as property and home owners’ contractors. Contact New Jersey One Call at 811 or 800-272-1000 any time, day or night.
- New Jersey One Call 811
Fees & Rates Schedule
Fire Prevention Bureau
Health Department Services
Planning~Land Use~Master Plan
For questions about the Temporary Handicap Placard application please email Amy Halpern, Police Records Clerk.
- Temporary Handicap Placard This fillable PDF application can be completed, printed and then returned to the MBPD for processing.
- No Knock Registry Residents can elect to include their home address on Mendham Borough's No Knock Registry. A copy of the No Knock Registry will be provided to all individuals that have applied for, and have been issued, a license allowing COMMERICAL DOOR-TO- DOOR sales and solicitation activities in the Borough. UNDER STATE LAW §151:16-24 THE NO KNOCK REGISTRY DOES NOT APPLY TO DOOR-TO-DOOR SOLICITATIONS CONDUCTED BY CHARITABLE, RELIGIOUS, OR POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS.
- Peddlers & Solicitors Permit Persons or organizations wishing to conduct temporary or seasonal door-to-door solicitations must submit a completed permit application to the Police Department. All required documentation, photos and the application fee must be submitted with the application form. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Permits require Council approval. Application for a Peddler & Solicitation permit with the Borough shall not apply to any person or organization possessing a current, valid registration with the State of New Jersey pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:17A-1 et seq., a copy of which shall be filed with the Chief prior to conduct of any solicitation.
- Privacy Act of 1974 Waiver and Background Check Authorization. This form is required to be submitted with Peddlers & Solicitors Permit application.
- No Knock Registry
All Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or a Handgun Purchase Permit Applications must be completed and submitted using the NJ State Police Firearms Application Registration System (FARS) Portal. The Mendham Borough ORI Number NJ0141800 is required to be entered to complete your FARS application process. Applications initiated in FARS but not completed within 90 days will automatically be cancelled by the system and must be resubmitted. Applicants are responsible for scheduling their fingerprinting as part of the application process. For all firearms and application questions for Borough of Mendham residents, please email Detective Christopher Gobbi at the email link below or call 973-543-7827.
- FARS Portal Firearms Purchaser Identification Card / Pistol Purchase Permit
- IndentoGo Firearms Finger Printing
- Firearms Frequently Asked Questions
Public Works~Service Request
- Shade Tree Planting Authorization Form Annually the Shade Tree Commission completes a street tree evaluation and determines potential locations for new trees to be planted along the curb line or near it on a residential property by the Borough . Residents receive a letter from the Shade Tree Commission Tree City USA Planting Program notifying them about the program and requesting permission to plant a tree. An authorization form is provided and must be signed by the resident prior to the tree being planted.
- Tree Care, Conservation & Protection Code
- Tree Removal Notification and/or Tree Permit
- Shade Tree Planting Authorization Form
FOR QUICKEST RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS & INQUIRES PLEASE EMAIL BRUCE DiBISCEGLIE, RECREATION DIRECTOR AT THE LINK BELOW.
- Reservation Tennis Courts
- Facility Schedule (indoor) Here you will find the reserved schedules for the Garabrant, Botti Pavilion, Carriage House and Phoenix House Garden. Maximum capacity of the Garabrant Center is 150 Standing, 100 Chairs only, 60 Tables and Chairs. Use the drop-down filters to see when times have been booked or when times are open. To make a reservation, email Bruce DiBisceglie, Recreation Director at the email link at top.
- Field Schedule (outdoor) Attached is the current Field Schedule for Borough Park (Doubleday Field, Elliott Field, Lenape Field, First Responders Turf Court), Botti Park (Upper/Lower), Franklin Field and Pastime Field. No changes can be made to this schedule without the written authorization from Mendham Borough Recreation Director, Bruce DiBisceglie email@example.com
- Reservation Facility (Indoor) Please submit this form to the Department of Recreation to reserve a non field recreation facility.
- Reservation Field (Outdoor) Please submit this form to the Department of Recreation by Dec 31 to reserve a field for the upcoming year. After Dec 31, fields will be assigned based on remaining availability. Review the USE OF BOROUGH FIELDS - FACILITIES (Regulations) before submitting a Field or Facility Request Form
- Regulations Facility & Field Please review all terms and conditions on this form before submitting a Field or Facility reservation request.
- Day Camp Information & Web Page
- Employment Background Investigation Release & Waiver of Liability If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must co-sign
Selling Your House~Inspections
Prior to closing on the sale of your home all mandatory inspections must be completed.
- OPEN PERMIT SEARCH "SAVE TIME GO ONLINE!" To confirm there are No Open Permits click on the SDL OPEN PERMIT SEARCH link above and log in. If you do not have an SDL account click on create account and follow the instructions. After logging in go to Find a Property. Enter the property address or block and lot numbers and click Go. You will be directed to the Property Page. To review the status of permits for the property being sold, scroll down and click on Permit Applications.
- Fire System Test Report and Certification
- Sewer Connection Inspection This inspection is only required if the residential property is on the public sewer system. Mendham Borough does not require any inspections on private septic systems.
- Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide & Portable Fire Extinguisher Inspection Prior to the sale of any home in the Borough a Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detection Inspection must be completed.
- OPEN PERMIT SEARCH "SAVE TIME GO ONLINE!"
Tax Assessor~Tax Map
- 200' List Request Form
- Assessment of New Construction Guideline
- Assessment Review Assessment reviews are only conducted from Oct 1st to Dec 20th
- Farmland Assessment Application by the owner for "farmland assessment" must be made on or before August 1 of the year immediately preceding the tax year.
- Farmland Assessment Woodland Data Form The Woodland Data Form must be submitted with the Farmland Assessment Application.
- Homeowners Guide to Property Taxes
- How to Find Assessment Postcard Information Online
- Senior/Widow Deduction
- Tax Appeal Filing Procedure & Guidelines
- Veteran or Surviving Spouse/Civil Union or Domestic Partner of Veteran or Service Person Property Tax Deduction
- Veteran Peacekeeping Missions/Operations Supplemental Property Tax Deduction To qualify for the $250 Peacekeeping Missions/Operations Veteran Property Tax Deduction the Veteran must meet one of the type of service requirements on the form for a total of 14 days, unless injured in a combat zone.
Complete this form for Certification of status of Municipal Tax and Sewer Fees and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Certification of Status of Municipal Tax and Sewer Fees
Zoning~Compliance Review & Permits
Please use for reference only.
- Mendham Borough Zoning Map
- Street and House Number Map
- Zoning Compliance Review & Permit Application A Zoning Compliance Review & Permit is required for variances, construction permits, exterior improvements including, but not limited to, Sheds, Additions, A/C Unit Replacements, Whole House Generators, Patios, and Fences. A Zoning Compliance Review & Permit Application must be submitted to the Zoning Office and reviewed prior to Joint Land Use Board (JLUB), Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) and Construction Permit Applications. Submit original and one (1) copy of application with property survey that has a raised surveyor seal showing the size of the lot; bounding streets; and the size, type, and location of existing and proposed structures with distances to all property lines denoted. Draw to scale on the survey any proposed structures on each survey.
- Zoning Compliance Review & Permit Application
- Fences (Non-Pool), Wall, Gateway & Entrance Pillars All Zoning Permits for Non-Pool Fences, Wall, Gateway & Entrance Pillars are issued by the Zoning Office --NOT the Construction Department. Applications require submission of a picture of the fence and a survey indicating the placement of the fence and dimensions. Fences on Lot Road Frontage Maximum Height is 4’ and 6’ behind the front foundation. All Pool Fence Permits are issued by the Construction Department per NJ State Building Code.
- Flag Pole
- Outdoor Dinning
- Permanent & Temporary Signs
- Roll Off Container/Dumpster
- Temporary Storage Container All containers (PODS) require a permit. - See Sub section 215-7 of the Borough ordinance
- Fences (Non-Pool), Wall, Gateway & Entrance Pillars