Skip to main content
Child Safety Seat Inspections
- Child Safety Seat Inspections
- The Mendham Borough Police Department provides free child seat safety inspections for the Borough of Mendham residents.
- Studies show that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for the age group 2 to 14 years old (based on figures from the National Center for Health Statistics).
- Statistics also illustrate that young children properly restrained in safety seats have an 80 % lower risk of fatal injury than those who are unrestrained (Insurance Institute).
- It is also recognized that 80%-90% of all child safety seats are installed incorrectly.
- New Jerseys child passenger safety law (39:3-76.2a) requires children less than 8 years of age who weigh less than 80 pounds must ride properly secured in a child safety seat or booster seat of the vehicle.
- If there is no rear seat, the child may sit in the front seat, but must be secured by a child safety seat or booster seat.
- Inspections are performed by officers who have attended a five day course and have been certified by the Safe Kids Worldwide organization http://cert.safekids.org/ .
- During the inspection, officers check the car seat in accordance with the National Highway Safety Administration standards for proper installation.
- Inspections usually take from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Our goal is to increase the safety of our children by educating parents about the proper installation of safety seats.
- If interested, citizens are asked to contact the program coordinator, Ptl. Robert Kruger, at 973-543-2993 x 1850 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.