Information to date suggests this virus is causing symptoms consistent with a respiratory illness such as cough, fever, and shortness of breath. The CDC advises that the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. The NJDOH recommends the following steps to prevent transmission of respiratory infections:
• Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or into your sleeve, not your hands.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Wash hands often for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
• Stay home if you’re sick, especially with a fever.
• Avoid people who are sick.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
Please note: if a traveler who returns from China is not ill, they may continue to attend school.
Outbreaks involving novel coronaviruses evolve quickly and recommendations from public health officials may change frequently as new information becomes available. Please check the following websites often for updated information.
For more information:
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
• New Jersey Department of Health website at