Morris County Library to Start Curbside Pick-Up Service on Tuesday
Release Date: June 22, 2020
Posted Monday, June 22nd, 2020
Order Books, Music, Other Library Materials Beginning June 23
The Morris County Library will begin a curbside pick-up service for books, music, and other library materials starting on Tuesday, June 23, as permitted by the state’s relaxation of COVID-19 rules for all libraries in New Jersey.
Patrons will not be allowed to enter the County Library, as the state is allowing only pick/drop-off services at this time via contactless curbside delivery at a library. Patrons are asked to wear face coverings and employ social distancing when visiting the library, where employees also will greet you with face coverings.
Important: The county library will not offer inter-library loans or services at this time. That state delivery service is not currently operating and may not be back in service for some months. Therefore, patrons can only pick-up and drop-off materials from the County Library located in Hanover Township at this time.
Municipal Libraries: Municipal libraries across Morris County have differing circumstances and rules regarding the re-start of library services. You are encouraged to visit the websites of your municipal or local libraries to find out if and how they are operating curbside services.
“We are very excited to offer curbside service at the Morris County Library starting on Tuesday,” said Morris County Library Director Darren O’Neill. “As this is a new process for all of us – staff and patrons – please let us know how we’re doing. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to you given the circumstances,” added O’Neill, who offered some instructions to guide you through the process.
- You may place a hold on our material in the library catalog (to be picked up at MCL) starting today, Monday, June 22.
- Please be sure to select Morris County Library as the pickup location. (Due to the lack of statewide delivery service until further notice, none of our items may be shipped to other libraries; nor will we be able to have another library’s material shipped to us.)
- At any time we are open, you may also call the Circulation Desk (973-285-6930) to request that an item be placed on hold.
Starting Tuesday, June 23, the library hours will be adjusted to the following:
- Tuesday and Wednesday – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursday – 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday and Monday — Closed
County Library Director Darren O’Neill examines curbside pickup area
Basic Rules of Curbside library operation:
- Requested materials will be placed on hold for one week, and then returned back into circulation.
- When requests are processed, patrons will get an automatic notification via phone, email, or text. Library staff will call you to provide a phone number for the Circulation Desk and basic information about curbside pickup.
- Patrons are asked to call the Circulation Desk at least 30 minutes arriving to give staff adequate time to get prepare items for contactless pickup (placed in the car trunk).
- When you arrive, please call the Circulation Desk.
- Follow signs directing you to the area where materials can be delivered. (Governor’s Office specified patrons must remain in vehicles)
- If you do not call in advance, there will be delays in getting your materials. Calling will definitely expedite the process.
- For returns, use the book drops only. Materials are pulled from the book drops daily and quarantined for 72 hours before discharging and re-shelving to ensure safe handling.
The Morris County Library is located in Hanover Township (for GPS) at 30 East Hanover Ave, Whippany, N.J. 07981, directly across the street from the Morris County Park Commission’s Frelinghuysen Arboretum. See the map.
Patrons are encouraged to visit the library on Facebook and Instagram for updates and information on virtual programming and online learning opportunities. If you have questions, use the feedback form.