Homestead Benefit (for homeowners):
• To file applications by phone: 1-877-658-2972
• To file applications online:
• To ask questions: 1-888-238-1233 (8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays)
• Online information: www.state.nj.usltreasury/taxation/homestead/geninf.shtml
• E-mail address for Homestead Benefit questions:

Property Tax Reimbursement (Senior Freeze):
• To ask questions: 1-800-882-6597 (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday) 
• To listen to information or to order an application: 1-800-323-4400
• Online information: www.state.nj.usltreasury/taxation/ptr/buffer.shtml

Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for Hard-of-Hearing Users: 1-800-286-6613 or 609-984-7300

E-mail address for general tax questions:


New Veterans Income Tax Exemption

Effective for tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2017, an additional personal exemption of $3,000 is available for veterans. Those who have been honorably discharged from or released under honorable circumstances from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof, or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal active duty status, by the last day of the tax year are eligible. Your spouse (or civil union partner) is also eligible for an exemption if he or she is a veteran and meets the criteria.  

This exemption is in addition to any other exemptions you are entitled to claim and is available on both the resident and nonresident returns. You cannot claim this exemption for a domestic partner or for your dependents. 

In order to apply for the veterans deduction you will need to:

·     Complete the Veterans Income Tax Exemption Submission form (click here)

·     Mail the completed form, along with your DD-214, to:

The New Jersey Division of Taxation

Veteran Exemption

PO Box 440

Trenton, NJ 08646-0440

·     You may also fax your completed form and discharge document to: 609-633-8427

The United States National Archives and Records Administration can assist with obtaining a copy of your DD-214. Once complete, please send us a copy of your application form for our records. We will need this to complete your tax return.